Program Overview&Benefits | How It Works? | FAQ’s


Q. Why should I hire an international intern or trainee?

A. With everything they have to offer, the question may be “Why shouldn’t you hire an international intern or trainee?” Not only do they enhance your business with a valuable international perspective, they also offer a variety of talents and experience, including multi-lingual skills. Additionally, they can stay with your company longer than most American interns—up to 18 months—and can begin their program at any time during the year. 
Learn more about the benefits of international internships and trainee programs
Q. What is a J-1 Visa?

A. The J-1 Visa is a non-immigrant visa issued through the Exchange Visitor Program. Entry into the US as a participant in the Exchange Visitor Program is granted with the understanding that participants will complete the objectives of their program category.  The program categories offered through Career Training USA are “intern” and “trainee.”

Q. Won’t it be expensive to hire an international intern or trainee?

A. No, that’s just one of the myths about hiring international interns and trainees. In fact, the program is very affordable. There are no program, visa, or placement fees for employers to host an international intern or trainee.  If you are an employer with fewer than 25 employees or less than three million dollars in annual revenue, we are required by the program regulations to perform a site visit at your organization prior to approving you as an employer.  But, all of the site visit costs will be covered by Exchange International.

Q. How do I know if my company is eligible to participate in the program?

A.  Simply review this summary of employer requirements.

Q. What if I already know someone who I’d like to hire?

A. Please contact us about the J-1 Visa Sponsorship program.

Q. How long does it take to recruit an intern through the Internship Placement Program?

A. On average, the process will take about 2-3 months. That includes the time it will take for the intern or trainee to apply for a visa in his or her home country.  If we already have qualified applicants awaiting placement, the process can be as short as 4-6 weeks.

Q. What is required in the Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002)?

A. The plan should include a detailed outline of exactly what the internship/training program involves, including specific departmental rotations and/or program phases. There should be a rotation or phase for every 3-4 months of training, and a new page should be included in the training plan for each rotation/phase.

Q. What’s the difference between an intern and a trainee?

A. The main difference between interns and trainees has to do with their education and experience.

Interns must be current students or recent graduates of a post-secondary academic institution outside the US that grants degrees or professional certificates. If they’ve completed their studies, they must start the internship program within one year of graduating.  Interns are permitted to work in the US for up to 12 months, and their field of training must be related to their field of study.

Trainees must have earned a degree or professional certificate from an overseas post-secondary academic institution and have at least one year of related professional experience acquired outside the US. Alternatively, if they do not have a degree or certificate, they must have at least five years of related professional experience acquired outside the US.  Trainees are permitted to work in the US for up to 18 months, unless they are participating in a Hospitality/Tourism program, which cannot exceed 12 months.  Their field of training must be related their professional experience but not necessarily to their degree.

Q. What kind of experience and qualifications do interns and trainees have?

A. Interns are majoring or have graduated with a degree in the field of their internship, and most interns typically have prior work experience, such as internships, summer jobs, volunteer positions, or Summer Work & Travel programs in the US. Trainees are required to have a degree from outside the US and at least one year of related professional work experience earned outside the U.S or at least 5 years of related professional experience earned outside the US.

Q. When can interns and trainees start working?

A. Interns and trainees may begin working any day of the year.

Q. How long can they stay at my company?

A. Interns can stay for up to 12 months. Trainees can stay for up to 18 months, except for Hospitality and Tourism Trainees, who may only stay for a maximum of 12 months.

Q. From which countries can I recruit interns and trainees?
A. We recruit interns and trainees through international cooperators and specialty universities in more than 10 countries (Turkey, 
Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Romania, Bulgaria, UK etc…)

Q. Can interns and trainees have more than one job?

A. No, per the J-1 Visa regulations, interns and trainees are not allowed to have second jobs.  If hired by you, they will only be permitted to work for you.

Q. Should I pay my intern or trainee?

A. Although it’s not required, we highly recommend that you pay your interns and trainees. Salary should be determined with each participant prior to his or her arrival in the US.  Please note that interns and trainees are required to work full time and are not permitted to work second jobs, so their position in your company will be their sole source of income.

Q. Do interns and trainees have Social Security numbers?

A. If interns or trainees have previously participated in the J-1 Work & Travel, Camp, or H-2B programs, they will have a Social Security number and card already. If this is their first time working in the US, they must apply at your local office for a card. They will receive a receipt that shows that they have applied for a Social Security card, which should arrive within 6 weeks.

Q. Am I required to provide housing for my intern or trainee?

A. No. Interns and trainees are responsible for locating and paying for their own housing, though providing recommendations for affordable neighborhoods, helpful websites, or newspapers will be appreciated by your intern or trainee.  You may provide housing, though, if you are able to do so.

Q. Am I required to pay transportation costs?

A. No. Interns and trainees are able to arrange their own transportation independently, though you may offer assistance if you wish.

Q. Do I have to provide health insurance?

A. Interns and trainees receive insurance as part of their program fee. All interns and trainees are required to have accident and sickness insurance for the duration of their stay in the US.  You may add them to your health insurance plan so they can seek general care in addition to emergency care, but they must retain their approved accident and sickness insurance as well, as it provides some required benefits mandated by the US State Department that normal health insurance plans do not.

Q. Are interns and trainees required to pay taxes?

A. Participants on a J-1 Visa are considered non-resident aliens. They should not have Social Security (FICA), Medicare or federal unemployment (FUTA) taxes withheld. Please consult a tax professional to find out if participants are exempt from state unemployment taxes in your state. For more detailed tax information, please review the IRS’s Employer Tax Guide and Publication 515 at

Q. What do I do if I am not satisfied with my intern or trainee?

A. If you feel that an intern or trainee is not meeting your expectations, we ask that you first talk to them and make your expectations known. We have found that a frank discussion about their performance often solves the problem. Career Training USA is also available to talk to the intern or trainee. If the situation does not improve and you need to terminate the intern or trainee, please call Exchange International so that we can assist the intern or trainee with any questions regarding his/her status. We can also help you to recruit a new intern or trainee that is a better match.

send as e-mail share
Follow us