Program Overview&Eligibility&Benefits | Application Process | FAQ's


Q:Do I need any experience for the Program?

A:For many positions, experience is not required in order to apply for the H-2B Program. If a company requests that participant have experience for a specific position, you will need to meet that experience requirement in order to apply for that particular job. If you have experience, it may be helpful, so you should include this information in your application and your resume or CV (Curriculum Vitae).

Q:I am not a student. Am I still eligible for the H-2B Program?

A:Yes. The H-2B Program is open to students as well as to people who are graduates or non-students.

Q:What is the level of education that I need for the H-2B Program?

A:The minimum level of education that is required is a high school degree. It is also possible that some employers may require you to have a specific degree or level of education for a particular job.

Q:Can I choose the employer and the location of the work placement?

A:You may request locations and type of position; however, we cannot guarantee that we can fulfill your request. In order for a participant to request a particular company, the company must go through the H-2B Program with the Department of Labor and U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services, and be approved to hire H-2B workers. The more flexible you are, the easier it is to place you.

Q:How long does my H-2B Program last?

A:The length of your H-2B job (which is also the length of your H-2B visa) may last up to 10 months. The exact time depends on the length of time that the company was approved for the H-2B Program. You may also request to extend your H-2B visa and work at another company after your current H-2B expires.

Q:Can I travel on the H-2B visa?

A:No.The H-2B visa is a work visa, and therefore you cannot travel without permission from your employer. During your stay in the United States, you may visit places on your time off, but you cannot end your work contract early to go travel.

Q:Can I work at a second job?

A:No. You may only work for the company that is written on your H-2B visa. If you are working at a different company than the one that is listed on your visa, you are not working legally and you will be out of status.

Q:What fees am I responsible for in order to participate in the Program?

A:Although you may no longer pay any Program fees or recruiter fees for your H-2B placement, you are allowed to continue to pay transportation fees, any government mandated passport fees, visa, and inspection fees. You will also be responsible for any housing costs, food, clothing, personal items, and incidentals, while you are working on an H-2B Program.

Q:I have already had an H-2B visa before. Can I apply again? Can I work at the same company?

A:Yes. If you have already had an H-2B visa, you may apply again. There is no limit as to the number of times you may participate in the Program during your life. You may also work at the same company, however, you will need to be approved or requested by the company in order to be able to work there.

Q:Is it necessary to provide a proof of residency in my home country?

A:In order to receive an H-2B visa, you will need to prove that you have strong ties to your home country. Therefore, having proof of residency is important. If you will be applying for a visa in a country that is not your home country, you will need to show strong ties to your home country and prove that you will want to return there upon the completion of your H-2B Program.

Q:I am already in the United States on an H-2B visa. Can I apply for another H-2B visa while still in the country?

A:Yes. You may request to renew or extend your H-2B visa while you are still in the United States. However, we need to find a placement for you with a company that has been approved, or is in the process of being approved, to employ H-2B workers.

send as e-mail share
Follow us